“No-poo” simply means “no shampoo”. It is the philosophy of washing your hair without regular commercial shampoo. There are many reasons for which the majority of the people are interested in NoPoo.
For some people, oil produced from the scalp develops very quickly on the hair surface. Long-term “NoPoo” actually reduces oil production, as your scalp no longer needs to over-produce to counteract the stripping effect of commercial shampoo. Traditional shampoos can be irritating and contain different kinds of chemicals. Some people do not want to expose their hair to those chemicals on a daily basis. People are more likely to use natural sources than artificial products. Some people may find no-poo an effective way to avoid spending more money on unnecessary cleaning products. Shampoos are made of detergents, just like in household cleaning products. So, you have to be careful what you’re putting on your head!
However, the word Chemical does not always mean un-natural or unhealthy substances in a product. Some chemicals are healthy, and they have positive effects on our body. People are showing their interest in knowing about the chemicals used in daily used products and the way they affect our health.
Remember, not to use shampoo does not mean to quit taking showers or washing your hair!
The people who have joined the no-poo movement use baking soda and then apple cider vinegar instead of using shampoo. Online support forums can help you figure out the perfect way to wash your hair without the use of commercial shampoo.
What are the advantages?
The no-poo method can offer numerous benefits to your hair. The benefits include:
- The ideal amount of oil in your hair making it healthier.
- More bountiful and thicker hair.
- The texture of the hair gets better, and there is no need to use artificial styling products.
- It reduces the exposure of chemicals to your hair.
- It also reduces the waste of plastic used for packaging purposes.
- The use of shampoo dries up your hair, and then you use chemical-based products to regain moisture and then again shampoo to wash that product off your hair. Quitting to shampoo for some time can help you in breaking this cycle.
Is no-poo applicable to your hair?
Experimenting with no-poo is comparatively less risky. But if you have a history of skin or suffering with you should discuss it with your healthcare provider or dermatologist before applying it. Almost everyone can try no-poo.
Follow-up the following steps to check if the no-poo is for you:
- If you have fine or thin hair, then skipping shampoo can be challenging for you because your hair will get oily faster. You may increase the time interval between washes for a few weeks.
- People with curly or very rough hair may see the most benefits of no-poo because the natural oils make your hair less frizzy and smoother.