Understanding the Pakistan Origin Card and National Identity Card in greater detail
What is NIC?
The Pakistan Government provides citizens with National Identity Card (NIC) which are a combination of state-of-the-art technology and well-defined business rules guaranteeing authenticity and validity. All citizens receive a NIC number at birth and an official card when they turn 18. It is the primary document for anyone in Pakistan looking to apply for licenses, bank accounts, passports, cellular connections and other such certifications.
How do applicants apply for their NIC after turning 18?
Candidates can apply for their NIC by either visiting NADRA Registration Center (NRC) or through NADRA Online the website.
If they are handling the process offline through the office, these are the steps to follow:
- Visit the nearest NADRA Registration Center (NRC).
- Collect a token
- Click you photographs
- Sign the documents and get your fingerprints scanned
- Fill out the forms, which might have to be done on a computer
- Hand over the completed application form
- Submit all the information at the office along with the attested supporting documents and certificates
If applicants are filling out the application forms through the website
- Visit the website
- Fill out the application forms on the website
- Upload all the supporting documents
- Post-processing, the completed application form should be printed out
They have to head to the office to submit their pictures and biometric information.
- Submit the completed application form to the office
- The card should then be delivered to your doorstep
What is the POC?
The Pakistan Origin Card (POC) is a program by the Pakistani Government that endeavours to provide eligible foreigners with unprecedented incentives to get back to their roots. Additionally, it makes sure Pakistan remains integrated with them by connecting expatriates around the world. They provide benefits like:
- Visa-free entry into Pakistan
- Indefinite stay in Pakistan if they match certain requirements
- Right to purchase, sell, own, deal with, and dispose of movable and immovable property
- Right to operate bank accounts in Pakistan
- Swift immigration to and from Pakistan at all designated routes, ports and places
- Proof of identity in place of the National Identity Card
- They may even provide employment
What are the eligibility criteria to apply for a POC card?
Some people who can apply for a Pakistan Overseas card are:
- Pakistani nationals who surrendered their nationality
- Foreign nationals who married Pakistani citizens with parents of Pakistani origin or who held Pakistani nationality
- Foreign nationals with parents or grandparents who are or were Pakistani nationals
- Foreign national with relatives (brother, sister, uncle, aunt) who are or were Pakistani nationals
- Foreigner (not born of Pakistan national/citizen parents) who married Pakistanis National / Citizen with the exceptions of:
- Citizens or nationals of India, Isreal, and Taiwan
- Citizen or nationals of a State or Country not recognized by Pakistan
- A citizen of any enemy country
Additionally, people can apply for their Pakistan Origin Card (POC) by handling the entire process online and the card will be delivered to their doorstep. There are multiple categories to get the card, some of these are:
- Applying for the POC for the first time
- Making changes or modifications to POC data on an existing card
- Handling the renewal of an expiring POC
- Cancelling or surrendering an existing POC
For information relating to overseas Bangladeshi citizens and NVR Certificate please click here