Education

Is it a good idea to go to Caribbean Medical Schools?

Absolutely! Attending a medical school is a dream for many students around the world. However, getting into a medical school is an arduous task as the number of applicants exceeds the number of available seats. According to U.S. News & World Report, the average medical school acceptance rate was only 6.7 percent in 2019.

As per the data released by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), out of the 53,371 medical school applicants, applications of only 21,869 students were accepted into allopathic medical schools in 2019. This simply means only 40 percent of applicants are accepted into U.S. medical schools every year, and the rest 60 percent of students get rejected. However, the low acceptance rates in the U.S. or Canadian medical schools do not mean that the other applicants are not worthy of becoming a doctor.

Besides fewer available seats, grades and MCAT scores play a crucial role in making it to the best medical schools. If your scores are stopping you from getting into a medical school in the U.S. or Canada, consider top-tier accredited Caribbean medical schools to acquire a medical education.

Why should I consider Caribbean medical school?

Despite the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, over two dozen medical schools witnessed a 25 percent surge in applicants in 2020 over the last year, the AAMC reported. With an increase in the number of applicants, getting into a medical school is tougher than ever. Now, you will have to focus more on building a competitive medical school application in order to become a stronger applicant and gain an edge over competitors.

Securing a seat in medical school is challenging, and the hours can be long, but acquiring a degree is totally worth it. Therefore, medical applicants can consider Caribbean medical schools as the acceptance rates on the Caribbean Island is relatively higher. Interestingly, the island is home to around 60 medical schools equipped with medical facilities in line with the modern medical standard. Above all, top-tier medical schools in the Caribbean provide hands-on learning opportunities to prospective doctors. Plus, top Caribbean medical schools have a small class size with a 7:1 ratio, encouraging the student-faculty relationship.

It is no secret that medicine is one of the most expensive higher education in the world. It is pretty challenging for a lot of aspirants to afford medical education. Surprisingly, Caribbean medical schools are good in terms of cost. These medical universities also offer student loans (the U.S. Federal and Canadian Provincial loans) and scholarship facilities to matriculants.

That’s not all. Students who have acquired medical degrees from outside the United States have to take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 to seek licensure to practice medicine there. Thus, Caribbean medical schools provide a strong foundation of medicine to matriculants to succeed in this three-step examination.

Now that you have learned about the advantages of acquiring a medical education in the Caribbean apply to the M.D. program in the island’s top-tier medical schools.

abubakarbilal

Abubakar is a writer and digital marketing expert. Who has founded multiple blogs and successful businesses in the fields of digital marketing, software development. A full-service digital media agency that partners with clients to boost their business outcomes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button